Why green living?
If you have grandchildren and you would like them to live in the future in a world as good or better than the world we know today. Impossible is nothing, if we take more care of our use of natural resources and the environment. You need to take responsibility for what I can, linked to my daily life, and I would recommend you do the same if you care for your grandchildren.
Is it difficult to live more green?
Some people have the feeling that to live more green is very bothersome, expensive, and difficult. But with this advice and see if they fit your temper and possibilities. As with a lot of things in life, it helps to think and plan a little ahead of what you want to do to save the world. So what are you waiting for to following approach toward a more green daily life has been rewarding.
Generate ideas of more green living
Use five minutes to list a lot of things you expect would reduce your and your family’s impact on the environment. Just dot the ideas down as they come into your mind. If feasible do it as a family event around the table and engage everyone in this green brainstorm. Think of three types of more green living as follows and put your green ideas into three categories:
- Green ideas that will save your money
- Green ideas that will be neutral on your economy and life
- Green ideas that will cost your money
1. Green ideas that will save you money
The ideas for greener living that will save you money should be implemented immediately. It is stupid to waste money and at the same time pollute more or use more resources than needed. Many companies here in Denmark have made use of this to reduce their environmental impact and to improve their competitiveness and profit from that green initiative at the same time. Many private households would benefit from it too.
Examples of green ideas that will save you money more or less from the moment you implement them are:
- Avoid running toilets and dripping taps (remember the garden, too).
- Have your lamps and electricity running more than needed, e.g. in rooms without any persons, and the standby lamps of electrical equipment.
- Drive your care more softly and you reduce the consumption of gasoline and keep your tires longer.
2. Green ideas that will be neutral on your economy
If you think of your grandchildren as I recommend the green ideas that will be neutral to your economy should also be taken into consideration. It is ideas for greener living that just need a little attention from you in your daily life.
Such more green habits could be
- When you are shopping avoid the extra bags and wrapping from the shop if you don’t need it.
- Make your own compost in your garden and keep as much of the nutrition in your garden instead of ‘exporting’ garden waste and have to buy fertilizers etc.
- Reduce your consumption of red meat and prepare food with more fish, chicken, and turkey and supplement more with veggies.
- That will also be healthier.
3. Green ideas that will cost you money
Ideas for greener living that cost you money might also be worthwhile considering, so please read on. Here I will emphasize the environmental effect when you buy new kinds of equipment, like a new freezer, a new car, a new computer, a new washing machine, etc. The whole trend of eco home design will often belong to this category.
Take your time to investigate the different qualities related to the environmental impact of the different brands and models of machines and equipment. Search for an independent rating of environmental impacts. In Europe we have a marking with A to E for energy consumption and the most environmentally friendly washing machines etc. will have an A-label. Most consumers at least in Denmark will be very much aware of that label and go for it if it isn’t too expensive.
The beauty of such an expense is that in most cases it will pay off, in the long run, to pay the extra for an environmentally friendly model because you will save electricity or other things in the long run. In many cases, premium environmental-friendly machines will also be of the best quality and that will help you too. So you see it isn’t that difficult to get started with some new greener habits and you can still look your grandchildren in the eyes because you are caring for their future.